The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20120914175514/http://osdir.com/ml/linux.arch.general/2005-08/msg00253.html
osdir.com
mailing list archive F.A.Q. -since 2001!



Subject: Re: Pronnounciation of our beloved distribution's
name - msg#00253

List: linux.arch.general

linux.arch.general Navigation:
Date: Prev Next Date Index Thread: Prev Next Thread Index

On 8/24/05, Andy Roberts <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 14:15, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I hate to bother you with such foolish question, but does someone now
> > how does Judd refer to the distro, because the word "arch" has double
> > pronnounciation - [a:tS] and [a:k]. We are having a fierce quarrel
> > with some guys in our LUG on that subject currently. So can some
> > clear things for us? It would be perfect if I could see Judd's opinion
> > on the question, but I guess I should't bother him with such silly
> > things considering the huge amount of work he ought to have... Thank you
> > in advance...
> >
>
> Indeed, it would be great to have Judd's official judgement. In the meantime,
> I have only ever thought of it as [a:tS] (in your your lingo. To me Arch
> rhymes with March or starch, and not like ark.
>
> This to me is why it makes sense that AL users are called Archers :)
>
> arooaroo

We had this discussion at LinuxTag - it's a soft "ch" as in "archway",
for two reasons:
1) It comes from "arch-nemesis" meaning "primary"... I've never seen a
movie where they talked about their "ark en-eh-mee"
2) There is already an "Ark" linux

- phrak -


Thread at a glance:

Previous Message by Date:

Re: Pronnounciation of our beloved distribution's name

On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 14:15, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > Hello, > I hate to bother you with such foolish question, but does someone now > how does Judd refer to the distro, because the word "arch" has double > pronnounciation - [a:tS] and [a:k]. We are having a fierce quarrel > with some guys in our LUG on that subject currently. So can some > clear things for us? It would be perfect if I could see Judd's opinion > on the question, but I guess I should't bother him with such silly > things considering the huge amount of work he ought to have... Thank you > in advance... > Indeed, it would be great to have Judd's official judgement. In the meantime, I have only ever thought of it as [a:tS] (in your your lingo. To me Arch rhymes with March or starch, and not like ark. This to me is why it makes sense that AL users are called Archers :) arooaroo

Next Message by Date:

Re: Pronnounciation of our beloved distribution's name

Nice to know! Me and friends of mine had the same discussion some days ago. Good to know that I was right. Victory is so sweet. ;-) Mathias On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:19 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote: > On 8/24/05, Andy Roberts <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 14:15, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > > > Hello, > > > I hate to bother you with such foolish question, but does someone now > > > how does Judd refer to the distro, because the word "arch" has double > > > pronnounciation - [a:tS] and [a:k]. We are having a fierce quarrel > > > with some guys in our LUG on that subject currently. So can some > > > clear things for us? It would be perfect if I could see Judd's opinion > > > on the question, but I guess I should't bother him with such silly > > > things considering the huge amount of work he ought to have... Thank you > > > in advance... > > > > > > > Indeed, it would be great to have Judd's official judgement. In the > > meantime, > > I have only ever thought of it as [a:tS] (in your your lingo. To me Arch > > rhymes with March or starch, and not like ark. > > > > This to me is why it makes sense that AL users are called Archers :) > > > > arooaroo > > We had this discussion at LinuxTag - it's a soft "ch" as in "archway", > for two reasons: > 1) It comes from "arch-nemesis" meaning "primary"... I've never seen a > movie where they talked about their "ark en-eh-mee" > 2) There is already an "Ark" linux > > - phrak - > > _______________________________________________ > arch mailing list > arch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch >

Previous Message by Thread:

Re: Pronnounciation of our beloved distribution's name

On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 14:15, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > Hello, > I hate to bother you with such foolish question, but does someone now > how does Judd refer to the distro, because the word "arch" has double > pronnounciation - [a:tS] and [a:k]. We are having a fierce quarrel > with some guys in our LUG on that subject currently. So can some > clear things for us? It would be perfect if I could see Judd's opinion > on the question, but I guess I should't bother him with such silly > things considering the huge amount of work he ought to have... Thank you > in advance... > Indeed, it would be great to have Judd's official judgement. In the meantime, I have only ever thought of it as [a:tS] (in your your lingo. To me Arch rhymes with March or starch, and not like ark. This to me is why it makes sense that AL users are called Archers :) arooaroo

Next Message by Thread:

Re: Pronnounciation of our beloved distribution's name

Nice to know! Me and friends of mine had the same discussion some days ago. Good to know that I was right. Victory is so sweet. ;-) Mathias On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:19 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote: > On 8/24/05, Andy Roberts <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 14:15, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > > > Hello, > > > I hate to bother you with such foolish question, but does someone now > > > how does Judd refer to the distro, because the word "arch" has double > > > pronnounciation - [a:tS] and [a:k]. We are having a fierce quarrel > > > with some guys in our LUG on that subject currently. So can some > > > clear things for us? It would be perfect if I could see Judd's opinion > > > on the question, but I guess I should't bother him with such silly > > > things considering the huge amount of work he ought to have... Thank you > > > in advance... > > > > > > > Indeed, it would be great to have Judd's official judgement. In the > > meantime, > > I have only ever thought of it as [a:tS] (in your your lingo. To me Arch > > rhymes with March or starch, and not like ark. > > > > This to me is why it makes sense that AL users are called Archers :) > > > > arooaroo > > We had this discussion at LinuxTag - it's a soft "ch" as in "archway", > for two reasons: > 1) It comes from "arch-nemesis" meaning "primary"... I've never seen a > movie where they talked about their "ark en-eh-mee" > 2) There is already an "Ark" linux > > - phrak - > > _______________________________________________ > arch mailing list > arch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch >

Home | News | Sitemap | FAQ | advertise | OSDir is an Inevitable website. GBiz is too! | Source may include bb10